Sunday, August 2, 2009

Update!!

Oh man oh man oh man! Sorry It’s hard to find internet access…
Let me fill you in a bit! J
Tuesday 7/21
This was my last day to rest before school started! George (my host dad) helped me set up a bank account, and get molds for my retainers made. A very productive day if I say so myself! This was a night of not so great sleep.. the next day I was so so nervous for school!!
Wednesday 7/22
My first day of school! It was pretty rough. I had no idea what I was doing, and I followed a girl to every class. I don’t like not knowing the building, or any people in it! The girls were nice- I couldn’t tell you anyone’s name! Most girls have very tricky names to say... let alone remember!! I was so so lost- but god pulled me through the day!
Thursday 7/23
Rain, rain, go away come again another day… the cold cold weather finally arrived. BURR!! I’m not kidding- it’s really cold here in the icky half melted snow—with zero heating and a cement built school! Ick. But aside from the freezing, Thursday was fun! After stumbling through my classes at school, I went to Caroline Crisp’s home for dinner. She is a Rotarian and sent her daughter Ensley to Australia last year. Ensley was in town and we had a yummy meal with great conversation. They were a fun family to be with for an evening.
FRIDAY!!! 7/24 (still raining)
YAYYYY!! Fridays, gotta love ‘em! Finally it was Friday. No matter what the weather was like- it was a good day! After another long, lost AND cold day at school, I got home and took a very nice hot bath. Mmmm :) After that, I went to youth group at Suzette and George’s church. It started at 7pm and I didn’t leave until 11pm!! I didn’t want it to end! It was so much fun! Some of the girls from my school also go, so I officially have a friend or two. (A little side not to anyone going to school: If there is a “new kid” please please welcome them. Invite them places, be kind and speak to them.)
Saturday 7/25
A beautiful sunny South African day! Unfortunately, I slept through most of the sun. I think the jet-lag (sp?!) finally got to me. I mean I’ve NEVER slept that long.. 2:30pm! I loved it though! Saturday was officially one week I’ve been living in G-town. Later Saturday evening, Suzette, George and me went to a rotary dinner. It was held at a woman named Este Coetzee’s home. She is a Rotarian and wanted to do something special for the international exchange committee. Ater the very fancy and delicious dinner, the adults chatted about odds and ends for a while. Eventually Suzette and I were yawning tons (turns out she wasn’t too interested in the conversation either) haha!! The car ride home was a giggly one! Ya know, when you get SO tired everything seems to be funny?! It was a lot like that! It was a very fun night.
Sunday 7/26
This day was the best day so far!! I went to church (I really enjoy their church!!) Then Justin, Suzette, George, Justin’s “friend” Zelda, and I took a day trip to Port Alfred. Port Alfred= Indian Ocean! The Indian Ocean is something that everyone needs to see. It’s absolutely beautiful. There aren’t words that can describe how amazing it is. :) My mouth fell open—and stayed that way! Those of you that can access facebook will be able to see some photos. God really made a beautiful Earth! I had such a great time and can’t wait to go back in the Summer!! :)
This past week 7/27-8/2 was very fun!
On Monday Was school and rotary meeting. I got told that i look so much more happy. I think i'm known as the girl that smiles a whole bunch!! :) I'm really having a great time. On Wednesday I got to have dinner with Rob and Kate Benyon. Oh and their adorable daughters Jessica and Paula!! Having younger sisters will be awesome!! :) Friday was a great day (they always are..right?!) I went to youth group again- but this night was a special themed evening.. VINTAGE!! Oh it was a blast-- photos coming soon.. I've been getting involved with church a lot. I'm helping lead worship in sunday school and with a Friday afternoon program for kids called JAM. I'm doing well thank you all for your prayers :)
Love,
Alison

3 comments:

  1. This was an awesome post! So happy to hear things are going better. Loved the pictures of the ocean, although you looked cold! As always, awaiting the next post!
    Love and hugs, Cousin Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali,

    Great to see your latest update. You filled it with so much of the info we were wondering about. We hsve heard a bit about the VINTAGE evening and can't wait for the pix!

    We got home yesterday from Nate's wedding in Ohio. It was quite the ceremony. Enjoyed being with family that we hadn't seen for a while. I imagine your folks filled you in on the details.

    It's hard for us to understand the SA weather - I'm picking peas, beans, tomatoes, zucchini, etc from the garden and you're mucking thru dirty snow !!

    We love you much. God bless.

    Papa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my dear Ali,

    I have been keeping up to date with your posts. I wish I could see all your pictures on facebook but have a strict rule not to be friends with my students. I just want you to know that I am SO very proud of you and will continue to be one of your biggest supporters. If you need anything please email me at work.

    Take care, Ms. Bailey

    ReplyDelete