Thursday, January 14, 2010

Loads to update you on!!

I left for the most fantastic two weeks of my life on October 30th. I flew to Durban, and started my Cape tour with all the other exchange students in South Africa. I met students from all over the world. Students from Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, Sweden, Switzerland, and USA. I get emotional when I write about this trip- I got some of the best and worst news of my life in a period of two weeks.
We started the tour on Saturday, October 31st. We met in Durban and traveled to Ficksburg. We stayed in the homes of Rotarians in the Ficksburg Rotary Club. It was very kind of them to let us all crash in their homes! But that’s how rotary works, there are kind people willing to help whenever, wherever, and with whatever they can. It’s so great! :)
Then we continued on our journey to Cape Town. Our next stop was Oudsthoorn. We stayed in Oudsthoorn and Visited Cango Caves, Cango Wildlife Ranch, and Cango Ostrich Farm. Cango Caves was beautiful! We went on a tour deeper and deeper into the caves... These caves were unique because there was not an opening at the end- only the beginning. So as we hiked, crawled, and seriously squished through these tiny spaces- the humidity got higher and higher. It eventually got to 95%! I wouldn’t choose to do that tour again... but it was cool to do once! The wildlife ranch was basically like a zoo... After seeing animals in their natural habitat in Kruger... I’m not too crazy about zoos anymore. The animals look sad... I did get the opportunity to pet and play with a young cheetah cub- which was awesome! The fur is wiry and the sweet animal was purring the whole time! Very cool… can we get one Mom?!?! :) Last but not least... The ostrich farm... OH BOY! I held a baby ostrich, kissed a grown up ostrich, and RODE AN OSTRICH!! When I kissed the thing... It took a nice chunk out of my upper lip (just my luck)... Leaving me with a bit of a bloody mess... Literally. I would not recommend riding an ostrich. It was quite gross. I made the mistake to wear shorts... So as I got off of the animal I had really funky sticky white and light brown ostrich goo on my bare legs… not so enjoyable!!! Hahaa!! Even though I make this sound a bit negative- I don’t mean it to be at all! I came on this adventure to do everything I could. And I have so far. No looking back- and do everything I can!! I’m doing it. Some things are just a bit nicer than others… :)
The next day, we arrived in Cape Town! It is absolutely gorgeous. There is a very nice relaxed vibe in Cape Town. I enjoyed it very much! In Cape Town we went to Robben Island, V&A Waterfront, Table Mountain, Cape Point, Aquarium, and the Greenmarket Square. I know that I have to come back to Cape Town someday to go up Table Mountain again. We went up and all we could see was fog. It was really too bad, but I’ll see the proper view sometime in the future.
Just before we left Cape Town I got some terrible news from home. I was sitting on my bed in Flora Bay Resort in Hout Bay listening to the ocean crashing against the rocks just below my room. I called home to tell my parents about Table Mountain and Cape Point. I was so excited to hear their voices. The moment I heard my dad on the phone- I knew something was wrong. My Dad told me that my Auntie Jill was sick. She had gotten sick very fast and was in hospital. I had no idea how serious this was or what state she was in... But I knew it wasn’t good. I was shocked. I actually don’t have words for how I felt. I felt like I had so many unanswered questions… and my parents just wanted to get off of the phone. After I hung up, I phoned my brother Glenn. He told me more of the details. I’m not sure if that was good or bad. I found out from him that Jill was unconscious and fighting for her life. I felt like I got the wind knocked out of me. This news was terrible. My favorite aunt. The one who was always there for me... I couldn’t be there for her. It absolutely wrenched my heart. After I got this news- I was one huge puddle of tears. God was and is in control- He put the right people by my side and me and my dear friend Amanda from Brazil prayed and prayed. That’s all we could do.
The next day we were traveling out of Cape Town. We stayed a night in Hartenbos in Mossel Bay. Then the following morning we traveled to Jeffery’s Bay. On the way we stopped to visit Monkey land and Birds of Eden. We also got to make a quick stop at Storms River which is where the world’s highest bungee jumping bridge is. Sadly, we weren’t allowed to jump but we did get a chance to view others jumping…I know most of us were really bleak about that…
We stayed in Jeffery’s bay for two nights. These were my last two nights because I got off of the tour in Grahamstown (where I live). While we were in J-Bay; we shopped, and surfed, and shopped some more. It was perfect. I don’t want to brag… but not only did I find amazing bargains on clothes... but I also was voted by the surfing instructor as the best female surfer!! I don’t really know why... because I fell and fell and fell some more... but I always got back up with a smile on my face! I managed to get up onto my board twice. :)
Then reality slapped me hard in the face that night with another phone call home. Jill was really not well. I was so angry that my parents kept sugar coating the situation but not I understand that they were just trying to stay positive. I was not aware of how bad things were. It was difficult for me to imagine my lovely Auntie very sick in hospital.
After J-Bay we went to the African Music Center in G-Town. After that I had to say goodbye’s and go home. It was really swak having to say goodbye. :’(
It is amazing how close I got to so many kids in a period of two weeks. You all have such a huge thing in common and you just click together right away. The relationships are so special. I will remember each and every one of those awesome kids for a very long time.
I was sad to leave tour and feared the future for Jill. When I got back to the Benyon’s I started unpacking and crying. I finally felt “at home” and comfortable… so I could let out all my worries and stressors... Shame, now that I think about it; I don’t know what I’d have done without them. They are very special people. With me through the happy and the sad, and always there for support.
About 3 hours after I arrived home the phone rang. I was sitting quiet in my room and over heard Rob say, “Hello Janey”. My heart sank right into my tummy. I knew this was not going to be a happy phone call. Rob knocked on my door, handed me the phone, and waited by my bed as my mom told me the news that Jill had passed away. I just remember repeating the word no. No no no no no. I have never experienced such a deep pain before. Rob was right there for support. To this day I can’t get my head around the fact that she is no longer alive. It’s so crazy and such a terrible thing. It leaves me speechless with tears in my eyes.
I stayed in South Africa and I know Jill would’ve been angry if I went home. I wasn’t really given the option by my parents to go or stay. Everyone felt so strongly that I must stay, so it just kind of worked out. I don’t believe I was in the right frame of mind to make a decision like that. It was better that they made it. Now I’m glad I’m still here. I’m finishing out this year in memory of one of my most favorite people. I do feel guilty for not being there, I’m sad I couldn’t say goodbye. But I’m also lucky to be one of the only people in the family to have such a positive image of Jill left as a memory. I’m sorry- I can’t bring myself to type anything more about this...

As the days went by, I wrote my thoughts down, communicated home regularly, and just tried to grasp everything that happened. I was surrounded by happiness, and that gets contagious. So I have good days and bad, but most are good. I’ve had many happy times and during all of those times I think of Jill. I’m able to enjoy my year knowing she is happy and in a good place. I will deal with more grieving when I’m home and don’t see her. I can’t think about that right now..
My December was awesome! The first weekend.. Dec. 5th-6th there was an outbound/inbound rotary youth exchange orientation. It was so exciting to meet all the girls (oddly they were all female) that were going to be exchange students in 2010! They were all so nervous and excited, and it was very interesting to be one the other end of things. Knowing what they were feeling and giving them advice. It was awesome.
Then December 12th-15th, Rob, Kate, Jessica, Paula, and I went to Cape St. Francis to soak up some sun! It was a great little holiday with nice weather and fun boogie boarding!! I even got a few lemons to squeeze into my hair to get it to go blond... Now Rob won’t stop giving me crap!! Every time he sees me he greets me with a “Your hair is really getting blond...” or some odd little remark... haha! It did work well though!
Then, right after we got home, Rob and Kate went away to Thailand for a week! The girls and I stayed with David and Ilva Benyon. (Rob’s parents) We got to swim in the Kingswood (a nice private school in Grahamstown) pool and have lots of giggles and good times with them. They are very sweet people.
It was the day before Christmas Eve when Rob and Kate got home. To me, it did not feel like Christmas at all at first. As the holiday progressed, it just kept on getting more and more special. We had some of Rob’s family over for Christmas Eve dinner and it puts a warm feeling through my body just telling you about it! I chose to make this holiday enjoyable. To not think about the negative and focus on the family and friends that I had with me at the time. I loved my South African Christmas. I did it, survived it… but I do have to admit that American’s do have a much more festive Christmas season. That night Jessica, Paula, and I had a “sleepover” in Jess’ room! Haha it was so cute. The girls were very giddy and super excited for Father Christmas to come. We all woke up at 5am to rip open gifts. It was so nice to have such excited girls to be with!! Then later that morning after I went back to bed and woke up for the second time... We all headed to Rob’s brother Grant’s beach house for a nice Christmas lunch.

I hope everyone is well...
Sending lots of love from sunny South Africa!
Alison

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I laughed and cried when I read this! Thinking of you every day! Love and Hugs from Kansas!

    ReplyDelete