Thursday, January 14, 2010

big oops..

Backing up all the way to October…
I made a big mistake- felt like (at the time) the biggest of my life. I tried to take a top from a store. I’ve never done it before; I don’t know why I did it. It was completely idiotic! It was humiliating, embarrassing, and so scary. I had to go through a Sunday afternoon and evening in a police station, and without God on my side I wouldn’t be in South Africa today. As most of you know, I am surrounded by love and support here. It was the worst time ever- waiting for the decision to be made if I was going to be sent home, or be able to finish my year. I can’t even put into words how amazing my rotary club, my parents, my host parents, my friends—everyone was just so supportive. I made an impression on all these special people, and when I needed them most, they were all right behind me. God is so amazing. He puts special people in our lives for very specific reasons. I can’t thank my rotary club enough for backing me and fighting to keep me here. I love these people.
So, I made a huge mistake. I’m not perfect. But I think what is most important right now is proving that what my rotary club did for me was valid. I need to be me, and show how I can rise above the mistake I made.
I’m sorry that I put stress on everyone. This experience has been a dream of my since I was in 8th grade, and I refuse to let a dumb thing that I did compromise my whole year. I have made a decision to go up from here.
In the middle of this big mess, I turned 17. The Benyon’s really made my birthday special. And I feel terrible because I was a poor sport on my birthday. I didn’t feel like I deserved to have fun and I was probably the worst company ever. I really didn’t want any attention, but they were all so sweet and did so many special things for me. They are amazing people.
Also, everyone back home- thanks so so much for all the wonderful birthday cards!! They are so special to me. I appreciate your thoughtfulness. It means a lot!
Since this has all settled lots has been happening..

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing person, Ali. I'm so glad this all worked out for the best, and I'm sure they all know and see what a beautiful soul you are.

    ReplyDelete