Friday, September 18, 2009

Here’s the latest and greatest…

Oh my goodness gracious… It’s been a while since I’ve last updated you guys! I’ve been very busy with school, friends, and rotary activities!
I’m going to just give you some highlights of the last few weeks… (I don’t have any lowlights!!)
On Friday, Aug.28th I went to Nicole Upfold’s 17th birthday party... 80’s themed! It was a lot of fun!! Then the next day, Saturday, (HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDY!) I ran /walked in my very first “fun run”! haha it was a run for the SBCA and hosted by Rhodes University. It was 4k’s... I went with the Benyons. After the run we just hung out! It was a lot of fun!! I think Rob is going to try to make me a runner… anyone who knows me will know he’s got his work cut out for him. I’m not the most graceful runner… haha!!
Then the following morning, The Full Gospel Church had a Braille bible Sunday. They had invited the community to church to hear the blind play music, and read from the Braille bible. It was a really awesome thing to see how talented the blind people are!! They sounded so good! Also, Pauline, my current host mom, manages an organization that helps provide services, food, job, and care for the poor. It’s called GADRA. They have a special blind program and she helped organize all the activities with the band at church.
The next week was a typical week at VG. I’m making good friends and enjoying it so so much!! Class for me mainly consists of writing notes to my friends, giggling, goofing around…and… oh yeah-listening to the teacher! :) I’m a good kid though- no worries!! I’m trying to learn and I’m amazed at the differences and similarities of schooling between the US and South Africa. It’s so cool to have a broad perspective!
You have to understand, at school the arts, drama, and music is amazing. These girls can bring it! (As my dad would say) They are so talented. So on Thursday, Sep. 3rd, we had house plays in the evening. (All the girls are divided into a house kind of like Harry Potter) it’s a huge drama competition between the houses. The girls write the script and perform their plays. It was so fun to go and watch!! My house didn’t win... But all the plays were great!
Then, on Friday Sept. 4th I attended youth club. It’s always a good time of great friends and fellowship. I look forward to Friday nights!
Saturday…
Even though I’m growing, changing, and living across the world... I still sometimes need a Saturday to clean my room. :) I spent the whole morning cleaning an organizing. I also have been jogging... I am in desperate need for some sort of active activity! I’m SO desperate that I’m jogging. Haha!! There are many hills in Grahamstown so it’s a nice work out.
After all of this… I went to Hannah Steven’s house. She’s a good friend from school and she invited me over for the night! It was a lot of fun. She’s awesome! We walked to town, got some food, and rented two of the worst movies I’ve seen in a long long time. Haha it couldn’t have been more perfect! It was great. :)
After a very late but fun night on Sunday I visited Rohan Strobble’s (sp?!) home. He is a Rotarian and has a son my age named Jurgen. They live about 20minutes out of town, on a big beautiful farm. They have a lovely home and many silly dogs. Hey mom- the dogs know Afrikaans!! Impressive huh?! I was amazed! :) They have also invited me to go to Kruger National park with them over the September holiday (sep.22nd -oct.4th) I’m VERY KEEN!!! (Keen=happy, excited It was a fun day, and I was so happy that we had a braii for lunch, which means we ate MEAT!! I’m currently living with vegetarians. It was a nice day, and Kruger will be a blast! :)
On Monday, Sep. 10th I was thinking of my irreplaceable best friend. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CARISSA!! Love you and miss you. <3
This week was crazy. I had a history essay due Wednesday, a history test Thursday, an LO project due Tuesday, math homework every night, sport after school, and rotary events in the evenings! OHHH boy!! It’s hard for me to balance rotary and school...having a little trouble with that but trying not to stress because I know it’s not worth it! I had rotary on Monday evening. I love rotary meetings! They are so much like family it’s awesome. :) Then on Wednesday I had dinner with the Benyons. It was great to see them, but their cats really got to me. I was an exploding mess… and it made me feel so sick. Then, on Thursday morning (Sept. 10th) I was told by les (my current host dad) that I did not look so good. Well I didn’t feel good either. I was tired and had a huge headache. I ended up coming home early from school and sleeping to rest up for a hectic evening… Thursday evening Rob took me with him to Port Alfred to meet up with Denise and we brought her back to Grahamstown to spend the weekend and Monday at my school!
This Friday, the 11th I attended the formal rotary fundraiser-The Citizen of the Year. It was so much fun! I went with Denise, and also brought Jurgen! It was a really fun night of dressing up and dancing. I love all the Rotarians and I feel like they are my family! They are the best! And they can dance!! Haha we got home Friday night (or Saturday morning) around 1:30 a.m. It was a long night!
The following Saturday, Denise and I had to wake up around 6:30a.m. To get to Queenstown by 10:00a.m. Debbie drove us; she also had to be there. The drive there was beautiful, the scenery and mountains are spectacular. Denise was clever and slept on the way there… But I had good chatting time with Debbie. She’s great!! :) When we got to orientation, it was NOTHING like what I was expecting. There were 4 students, all girls, and three of us from the US. A little disappointing I’m not going to lie. I come from a rotary district that has about 50 students every year... I was expecting more students... And more variety of where they were from. Sheena, Denise and I were the three from the US. There was one other girl named Manon, from Belgium. She spoke very little English, but is very very sweet. :) Orientation consisted of lectures... a very long boring slideshow. Debbie was even shocked at how “unfun” it was. But oddly, I actually did have a fun weekend. The whole time I was just listening to the other girls’ problems and concerns... I realized how amazing my host rotary club is, and how blessed I am that God put all these amazing people in my life. Grahamstown Sunset is the best rotary club in SA!! I’m enjoying my club, loving my host families, and making friends. The others can’t all say the same things...
After the long weekend, Denise stayed through Monday and got to come to VG to see my school, and get a taste of a typical day in the life of me. She and I aren’t too tight, we are very different... She didn’t enjoy VG too much, so I guess it’s good she goes to Port Alfred High. She went home Monday night.
O n Monday night I had a rotary meeting. My favorite… :) I mean don’t get me wrong, it’s not like I live for committee meeting nights… but the atmosphere of the club and the people is what I look forward to every Monday. The people are so amazing!! Ahh I feel at home here.
Tuesday was just a day at school… I got to go for a run and a long walk with Les and the dogs. It was nice! I sure am glad I have no issues communicating with adults. (Thanks Mom and Dad)
Today is Wednesday the 16th of September. I have officially been in this lovely country of South Africa for two whole months!! I can remember the day I arrived… oh boy!! It feels like yesterday. I love every day more and more. Always keeping busy and enjoying anything that is thrown at me.
This afternoon I had “fitness” (we are required to do at least 3 hours of co-curricular activities through school per week). It is really a big joke. The teachers take us for an hour and try to play games...etc. Well today we had a teacher leading us named Ms. Farquar. She is old and ornery, but secretly I think she loves all the girls. Anyways, Ms. Farquar was trying to explain a new game... well nobody was interested so all the girls and I started cheering, dancing, and doing their old primary games!! The teacher gave up, and for the last half hour; we played silly games! One of my best friends Who calls me “my sista from Minnesota” named Thembu (Tim-boo) was teaching me how to dance like a true black South African… it ended up with everyone laughing at me. I’m a hopeless dancer! They are all so great, I love these girls. I still get teased, for how I speak my high energy level, and smiling all the time! They always ask me why I’m always so happy! Haha then of course that just makes me laugh and the cycle continues.
Everyone is counting down until the third term ends.. only 4 more days!! Then I’m off to Kruger National Park!! WOO HOO!!! SO KEEN! ;)
I love you all-
Sending love and peace to everyone from Sunny South Africa-
Alison

Saturday, September 19, 2009-Today I’m going on a hike with Les and Pauline. This is the last weekend I will be with them.. the time really flew!! I’m learning how to get along with all sorts of people.. and right when I’m really feeling comfortable with this very sweet family, I’m out the door- moving. It’s an odd feeling because I’m really looking forward to living with the Benyon’s, and at the same time I’m going to miss the Mitchell’s! It should be an easy transition..It’s not easy forming relationships with people; then moving out. But that is what this whole thing is all about…
Love,
Alison

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Ali, what a terrific post! You must get the dancing ability from your dad, cause your mom can move!!!! Many hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete